Skin cancer is a serious disease that impacts millions of people each year. Many of the cases of skin cancer come from exposure to Ultra Violet (UV) rays which are a known carcinogen. Because we know what causes it, there are things we can do to prevent skin cancer, or at least decrease its likelihood. Here are 5 things you can do to prevent skin cancer:
1) Wear sunscreen – This is the most important thing you can do, and you should be doing it every time you go outside. Looking for a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15, and ideally much higher than that. When you apply it, use 1 ounce – 2 tablespoons – on your entire body 30 minutes before you go outside. From there, you should reapply every two hours. If you are swimming or will be sweating a lot, reapply right after these activities.
2) Wear protective clothing – Shirts with UV protection help block those harmful UV rays from reaching your body. You might think these types of clothes will not be very stylish, but in fact, UV protective shirts can help you look great even as you’re protected. If you are going to be outside for an extended period of time, it helps to have clothes that will support you in terms of blocking harmful rays before they get to your skin. At 2-DG, our shirts are made with SPF 50+ sun protection.
3) Find the shade – If it’s possible, seek out shady areas when you are going to be outside, especially between the hours of 10 AM – 4 PM. These hours of the day are when the sun is at its hottest and when the rays will be particularly harmful, so anything you can do to dull their impact or protect yourself from it will help.
4) Avoid tanning beds – It’s popular to head to the tanning bed or to lay outside for an extended period of time to try to get your skin tan. However, this extended exposure to UV rays which is necessary for tanning can put you at a higher risk for skin cancer.
5) See your physician every year – The last thing anyone wants to hear is that they should go to the doctor more, but getting a professional skin exam from a qualified physician can help. This will allow you to catch problems more quickly, or to identify problems so you can do your best to stop them from becoming bigger issues. Just like a car or house, the best way to prevent a problem is to stop it before it starts.
2-DG offers protective clothing such as Italian golf shirts, helping you look great while staying safe out in the sun. Our clothing is handmade in Italy and designed with performance and fashion in mind. We work to support the Lampidis Cancer Foundation through our efforts. Browse our men’s and women’s clothing to find what fits you.